Amending Your VCF Claim: What You Should Know

In the fifteen years since the 9/11 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center (WTC), many cancers and physical conditions have been discovered and reported among the tens of thousands injured. Those who lived, worked, or volunteered near Ground Zero in the aftermath of the attacks have also developed physical conditions and diseases due to the inhalation of dust and toxins in the disaster zones.

Thousands of people have filed claims with the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund (VCF) in order to receive compensation for medical treatment, lost wages, and other types of economic and non-economic loss. Even after filing a claim or receiving an award, people can develop new symptoms and become diagnosed with new diseases, which is why anyone with an existing claim should know it can be amended without disrupting their status with the Fund.

It’s important to note that when working with the VCF, an amendment means you’re adding another claim to the existing claim.

If you have one or more of the following circumstances, you may have grounds to amend your claim:

  • You are diagnosed with a new 9/11-related injury or condition or the WTC Health Program certifies you for a condition with which you have not previously been certified.
  • Your injury or condition substantially worsened, resulting in a new loss for which you have not been compensated.
  • You have incurred additional economic losses due to your eligible injury or condition.
  • You have new information in support of your claim that was not previously submitted to the VCF and you believe was not reflected in your loss award.
  • Your claim was denied or deemed inactive because you did not respond to the Fund’s request for missing information and you are now able to provide the requested documents.
  • The victim passes away after filing his or her original claim.

If you have been recently diagnosed with a new 9/11-related injury or if the WTC Health Program has certified you for a new condition, you may be entitled to amend your VCF claim. We’ll help you assess whether an amendment is warranted; you can reach out to us at (800) 962-9954 or via our contact page.

Share On: